10 Ways to test and experiment with denim:
1. Break down to thread form
2. Sew using the threads it was broken down to
3. Cut and chop
4. Rip and tear
6. Use as a pigment
7. Paint on it
8. Sculpt with it
10. Laser cut
Taking it down to the thread it came from.
Cut and Chop.
Rip and Tear.
Make it it to a pigment. This was deconstructed into a dust-like form and mixed with a clear acrylic base.
There was a 1:1 and a 2:1 ratio used to test for better results. The 2:1 ratio provided a more flexible and smoother application.
There will be future tests conducted in using denim as a pigment. Stay tuned.
Laser cutting denim.
Laser engraving denim.
Sculpting with painted denim dipped into a wheat paste and formed.
Caz's Denim Dan, 2015 by Caz
Ian Berry a.k.a Denimu
Mike and Ike
Denim on Denim, 122x61cm
10 points of denim found online
1. Jeans Museum in Zurich founded by Ruedi Karrer
2. RAWR Denim - online store and more - go to for most all you need to know about denim and feature stories -Cool Site! http://www.rawrdenim.com/
3. First pair of jeans Levi Strauss 1873 - (Jacob Davis was creator of idea of rivets in jeans, partnered with Levi Strauss in order to patent) http://www.levistrauss.com/our-story/
4. Denim Revolution 2005-06 - Russia and Czech Republic. In Belarus, Nikita Sasim was beaten unconscious for waving his denim shirt. ( more info at RAWR)
5. Denim is sexy as told by advertisers and half-naked Calvin Klein models.
6. .Denim is durable twill weave textile - weave creates a diagonal stitching verses a square stitch of the cotton duck - linen / canvas
7. People recycle and reuse jeans for various craft ideas, many ideas and "how to's " online
8. Denim seats and interior trends by American Motors Corporation
9. Denimu ! Holy Denim Batman! Ian Berry, denim artist - http://denimu.com/
10. I am not alone, there are others that have denim obsessions.